Twelve years of vanilla Minecraft?!

Main Menu

1.13 has been released

Started by smithadmin, July 29, 2018, 02:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smithadmin

Are we looking at a World Reset now?

3dB

Yes, the map will be reset for 1.13. That being said, I don't really have any plans as to when to pull the trigger. The 1.13 update is the biggest rewrite ever done to the Minecraft codebase. Rumblings are that performance took a big hit as part of the overhaul. Not that we need to care about performance when having 2 people online at a time would be considered busy these days, but I don't really know what to expect the impact to be. My inclination is to wait for the custom versions with performance enhancements to catch up (Spigot, Paper), but that could be a few months down the line.

Also worth considering is the mapping software we use doesn't support 1.13 and the developers have no plans to update it. There are people on github discussing contributing the updates needed, but it's a large undertaking. The software itself has been upstaged by other more real-time systems that are popular now so it doesn't get the love and affection it used to. For us it's still everything we need it to be. We've built tools around it, contributed code to it and built some of the site architecture to work with it. I'm not really interested in spending the time to move to something else.

What will most likely happen is I will start the new 1.13 world using the vanilla minecraft server at some point. I'll move the old world to a secondary port as usual and keep the map running on that world. When the tools catch up we'll move the map to the new world. When will I do this? Hopefully within the next few days, but we'll see what life has in store =)

3dB

This has been completed. Enjoy!