• Welcome to Minecraft @ 3decibels.net.

News:

Twelve years of vanilla Minecraft?!

Main Menu

MC Beyond 1.20.4

Started by 3dB, July 07, 2024, 10:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3dB

At some point the Minecraft server builds started requiring Java 21 to run. The OS our server is running on only has Java 17 available. This is going to prevent me from updating Minecraft beyond the version currently installed (1.20.4) until I can figure out a nice way to get the Java 21 runtime onto the system. I have no ETA for this.

3dB

I took some time today to look at installing a newer JDK onto the Minecraft server and was able to get it working.

The big question now is what to do about the map. Minecraft 1.21 features changes to terrain generation. In the past when we encounter updates like this we have tended to wipe the map and start fresh as not to have discontinuity between old and new terrain generation (ex: a forest generated before the update is suddenly next to a giant mountain 100 blocks higher).

Are there any preferences on what to do here? I know hardly anyone uses this server anymore but I figured I'd ask before making a decision that might go against the wishes of those who do still play.