• Welcome to Minecraft @ 3decibels.net.

News:

Twelve years of vanilla Minecraft?!

Main Menu

Start fresh.

Started by nekoKaori, October 01, 2012, 11:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nekoKaori

So it's been over a year since we did a server restart from scratch. I suggest perhaps it's time to start new. As i know some people don't play at all anymore and some are tired of the continued walk to get the last things and other people would like to join the server but don't want to take the zillion day walk to find unclaimed land.

So how do you feel about this?

3dB

So far this thread has only 2 views, Kaori and myself. The server logs indicate there are still some people who are somewhat active, but hardly any. I changed the MOTD on the server to inform more people about a possible world reboot.

If there are any objections please speak now. If there are no replies within one week I will consider that a go-ahead, though it will likely be a little longer until anything is actually done. As with the last world reboot the current world will be saved and made available for download if we do decide to go ahead with it.

If the world is rebooted we will be looking at installing a mod framework. The vanilla style of the world was fun but there are some nice mods that can help automate basic resource gathering that help reduce some of the tedium that some people have expressed interest in.

Malaclipse

I've totally taken a vaca from the game. Too much going on and not enough time. Nonetheless a restart is peachy.

nekoKaori

Oh yey someone responded. :)

Any one else have any thoughts of opinions?

Come on no being shy. I don't bite. (unless your 3db :P )

smithadmin

I'm game for a reboot.  Make it so!

jhujhiti

Hi everyone!

I have a renewed interest in the game, so I'm totally down for a fresh start.

Let's start with the 1.4 release.

3dB

Awesome! Looks like there's plenty of support for a reboot so that's what we'll do =)

Lately I haven't had a lot of time to look into mod frameworks but something that's come up a few times is the Tekkit mod pack. Tekkit is Minecraft bundled with a selection of modifications that is maintained by a small team of people. It utilizes its own launcher and server builds, so to use the server you'd have to switch over to using the specific Tekkit launcher from their website. However, Tekkit has good quality control and support. The mods are all selected because they work well together and there are people watching the builds to make sure they stay that way.

Have a look and tell me what you think:
http://www.technicpack.net/tekkit/

I'm really leaning towards going with Tekkit. Unless there are any major objections I want to try and have it up and running by the end of next week. Keep an eye out for the switch =)

jhujhiti

I've looked at Tekkit before, and I think it's pretty awesome. It's a far cry from the plain vanilla experience we've had here. But I'm a big fan of Railcraft and RedPower.

Edit: Yuck, I just tried single player Tekkit and realized that it's still using 1.2.5.

smithadmin

So.

1.4.2 is now out.

I was talking with Travis about the impending restart and he suggested that we need to record the destruction of Brian's treehouse...   8)

He went so far as to suggest that we should be able to log fireballs at it.

Thoughts?

Travlow

Do it!!! Do it Now!!! I think we should do like a 6 month rotation. As (to me atleast) the fun part is starting out.

Mikaro

So.... I come back after a time, and decide i wanted to play again.....  I can't seem to sign on and play.  :P

Malaclipse

I'm thinking that has to do with people moving to a new house. 3dB where are you?

3dB

Sorry guys, I've been very busy playing house.

I've updated the server to 1.4.5 for now. It should be working OK, though I have not tested it.

Mikaro

Thats all well and good, but when are we having the fresh start?  I'm looking forward to it.