News:

Twelve years of vanilla Minecraft?!

Main Menu

Quizlandia Rail: A Community Initiative

Started by MrQuizzles, November 16, 2013, 03:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrQuizzles

Hello and Greetings!

If you have been paying attention to the server map, you may have noticed a rail line pop up. This is the initial line of the Quizlandia Rail system, and my plan is to extend it to all corners of the map in order to facilitate easy and convenient travel between players.

This is a big undertaking, however, and doing it alone will take a long time. I will work to bring the rail to as many people as I can, but I can do it faster with help. As such, I'm always accepting donations of stone, coal/charcoal, iron and gold in order to help facilitate the expansion process.

If you don't want to wait for the rail to come to you and would rather connect to the rail yourself, then please abide by the following standards:

-The height of the rail is Y=82.
-The rail platform is a 3-block-wide strip made of Stone Bricks. Stone Bricks were chosen for their ease of creation and superior durability.
-Torches are placed in the center block of the rail platform, rails on the outside blocks.
-One torch is placed every 7th block in order to keep the rail platform adequately lit.
-Every 5th torch is replaced by a redstone torch that is flanked by regular torches.
-Booster rails are placed next to the redstone torches.
-In instances where the rail platform comes in close proximity to ground where hostile NPCs may spawn, a barrier shall be created to ensure riders' safety.
-The barrier should be 3 blocks high on any vulnerable side of the rail.
-If the rail is vulnerable to spiders, a ceiling, 3 blocks wide and 3 blocks above the track, shall be built as well and torches placed upon it one every 7 blocks.
-When the rail would intersect the ground, a tunnel 3 blocks wide and 3 blocks tall shall be dug through the landscape.

The placing of the booster rails allows for the cart to accelerate slightly. As such, small and gradual height changes are possible with the default distribution of booster rails. If you wish to connect to the rail from a different height, make sure that a cart can make it up any inclines in the track.

Feel free to style your stations however you want! It is encouraged that each station has its own unique flavor representative of the person hosting it. Stations should be adequately lit and safe from any hostile NPCs as well as easy to access.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to voice them. If you wish to make a donation and I'm not around, you can simply place it in my homestead. Finished goods such as rail, redstone torches or stone bricks go into the chest to the right of the furnaces. Raw materials such as iron or cobblestone go into the chest to the left of the furnaces.

3dB

MrQuizzles

So where are you going to connect to me? You appear to have moved from your Savannah to go be with Perry and folk. At the same time, Kusahara appears to be creating a bridge across the ocean. I'm not sure what height it's at, but it does appear to be lower than my rail platforms. That can be dealt with, though it takes a bit more gold and a touch more care than it otherwise would.

If you can connect to Kusahara's bridge from the North, I can work my way over to it from the West. Do be aware that doing so necessitates a 1000-block span from you to Kusahara, though you're not far off on the X axis.

Malaclipse

Are you going to link to Kusa? How do you feel about connecting to me underground? Or I can pull it above ground of course close to Kusa.

MrQuizzles

I will almost certainly link to Kusa in the future. It's a bit of schlep to get there, but I'll do it once I finish my tower.

The biggest problem with underground rails is that they take a lot more time to create. Above ground railways are easy because placing 3 blocks doesn't take a lot of effort. Mining out 9 blocks (since I like my tunnels 3x3), on the other hand, takes quite a bit more time. Although you can discover resources below ground, mining out a 3x3 section isn't optimal for resource acquisition and may end up costing you in whatever material pickaxe you use (probably diamond).

Malaclipse

It does take a while to mine the space out, but you should get back the resources you put in (except time). You are likely to find some diamond, plenty of iron, and coal. I will probably be building an underground tunnel from http://minecraft.3decibels.net/map/#/1735/64/-1806/max/0/0 to some where over http://minecraft.3decibels.net/map/#/1508/64/-866/-1/0/0 . I need iron anyway.

Silentkiller89x

I will assist as well. Since I am right next to Malaclipse, and his suggested spot is right next to my homestead, I will help him in connect it.

MrQuizzles

Hello all!

I'm happy to announce that Kusahara has been linked up to the rail network. This means that easy access to the Quizlandia/Dangerspud coop and the spawn point are available from that location and vice versa.